Savage Mill, or the “Savage Mill Historic District” as it’s now known, is located at 39°8’5.97″N 76°49’33.37″W.

Here is a Google Earth file containing Savage Mill:

The Cotton Mill

During the early 1800s, a man named Amos Williams, accompanied by his brothers Nathanael Williams, Cumberland Williams, and George Williams, decided to start a cotton mill after they acquired land from Nathanael Williams’ marriage to Caroline Barney, whose father owned the land the mill was to be built on. Having the land, but lacking the funds to build on it, the brothers turned to a family friend, John Savage, for a loan of $20,000 and through Savage’s generosity the name of the mill, and the mill itself, was born. The main product of the cotton mill was cotton duck, which at the time was used primary for sailcloth. However, during the World Wars, specifically World War II, the cotton mill switched operations, primarily focusing on producing heavy duck for canvas, hoses, refining, and community power from the waterwheel.   

Savage Mill’s Christmas Village

After a massive decline in productivity after the end of World War II, the mill found itself to be unfruitful and was sold for $450,000 ceasing its operations on January 1, 1948 to make way for its first renovation – Santa’s Novelties.

Santa’s Novelties was a Christmas decoration manufacturing plant that opened its doors in December 1948, and produced as much as 65 million Christmas tree ornaments, before its eventual decrease in lucrativeness. The company tried to rebrand, but to no success as the business went bankrupt and was forced to close. It was sold to National Store Fixture Company in the 1950s, and was used as a warehouse until it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places and turned into a retail outlet in 1982.

For those exploring this area, another interesting location that surrounds the mill is The Bollman Iron Truss Bridge, which was the first successful iron bridge railroad of its time, and is the last remaining bridge of the Bollman Truss Bridges.